- With the fierce competition in the digital world today, being technically left behind would not be an option. What should be your call for action? Learn from the essential technical SEO factors to boost traffic to your site.
- It was not until 2016 when speculations on how a site can benefit from technical SEO arise. Some considered it dead, while others believed in its graceful resurgence. These divided opinions can be attributable to its definition. Everyone may agree on its significance as the basis for the A-list search engine ranking.
Do you want to boost your site’s traffic?
Follow the seven primary steps for a successful technical SEO in 2017:
1. Search Engine Index
- Check the page number of your site indexed by major search engines. You may use an SEO crawler or the site:domain.com to check this.
- What is SEO – Wikipedia definition
- The number must be proportional to the total number of your site’s pages, minus those you don’t want to be indexed. Review the prohibited ages when the gap is bigger than you’ve expected.
2. Crawlable Essential Resources
- Ensure the crawlability of those selected pages you want to appear in search engines. Try to use an SEO crawler for all the restricted pages. Note the ability of Google to render pages just as modern browsers do.
- All resources should be crawlable because Google will not properly recognize the pages when the CSS files are unavailable for indexing.
3. Crawl Budget Optimization
- Crawl budget: refers to the number of pages crawled by search engines in a certain period of time. Google Search Console can give you an idea what this really means though not a detailed breakdown of each page. Check the server logs for the detailed data version.
- You can actually increase the crawl budget of your site considering the number of a page’s internal links, and its backlinks from the other websites. We recently tested these theories on our website’s SEO SpyGLASS pages, their internal links, and their crawl stats. Data show a strong correlation between the spider page visits and its backlinks.
- Backlink profile: cannot grow overnight so you have to optimize your crawl budget. How?
- Remove the duplicate pages: Remember that canonical URLs are not beneficial as search engines can still hit the duplicate pages.
- Avoid indexing pages without SEO value. A Disallow rule in robots.txt covers expired promotions and privacy policies, conditions, and terms. Try to indicate Google Search Console’s URL parameters to prevent Google from crawling the same pages with separate parameters.
- Dealing with broken links. Don’t waste your crawl budget every time the search bots is a 4XX/5XX page link.
- Upgrade your sitemap and register in Google Search Console.
4. Internal Links Audit
Great UX as well as crawlability are required for the shallow structure of your site. Internal linking is critical in efficiently spreading the PageRank or ranking power around pages.
When conducting an audit of the internal links, you need to consider the:
- Broken links. These links only consume the page’s ranking power and confuse the visitors. Look in the HTTP headers, sitemaps, and tags.
- Redirected links. Leading your site visitors through redirects will have a negative impact on the crawl budget and load time. Opt for several redirects and upgrade links to the redirected pages.
- Click depth. The structure of your site must be shallow with less than three clicks from your home page.
5. Sitemap Review
Never underestimate the power of sitemaps as they tell search engines on your site’s structure and allow easy discovery of new content. Check the sitemaps of your site against:
- Cleanness. Check possible errors in your sitemap on a regular basis. You can do this in Google Search Console found under Crawl > Sitemaps.
- Freshness. Update your XML sitemap every time you add a new content to your site.
- Size. Keep your sitemap crawls shorter that Google’s limited crawls of 50,000 URLs. This is to allow the significant pages to frequently crawl.
6. Page Speed Test and Improvement
- Page speed serves as the ranking signal of Google and one of its top priorities in 2017. Test the load time of your pages using the PageSpeed Insights tool of Google.
- Google will send your guidelines on how to make your page pass the test. You might receive a download link with your compressed images.
7. Embrace Mobile Usage
Google announces its use of its mobile-first web indexing, in which the website’s mobile version will be indexed instead of the desktop version. This will help identify their ranking in desktop and mobile search results.
Prepare your website for such change by considering the following:
Conduct a test to determine the mobile-friendliness of your site pages using Google’s Mobile Friendly Test tool.
- Use robots.txt settings or custom user agent in your SEO crawler in running audits of your mobile website.
- Monitor the mobile rankings of your site. This is very relevant for your site. Take into account that your progress can also be translated to desktop rankings.
So, our seven technical SEO recommendations are just provided. We do hope that we are of great help for the greater traffic to your site. Any other thoughts on the most recent and the most effective SEO tactics? Let us know and we will be happy to consider them as well. Feel free to contact us then. View our SEO Agency in Belfast, Northern Ireland service and package we can offer